YMCA
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

YMCA Employee Reviews

Enjoyed my time was offered different positions great friendly place to work very professional and organised place to work. Clean environment lovely canteen great staff team work
Pros
Gym membership
Cons
Short shifts
Poor communication Dishonestly when told the hrs I would get I was only given 2 shifts of 2 hrs a week when I was promised 15hr. Not very supportive of staff and family needs
I enjoyed work but management was all over the place. Getting a straight answer was difficult. Lots of power struggles. Center director was on a mission to get rid of staff that were persevered to be loyal to other coordinators.
Great workplace for young people to get experience while studying. Opportunities to get involved with the community. Ability to learn new departments including aquatics, health and wellness, childcare and middle management.
The overall KPI's were not realistic for the amount of time one had to achieve things. Unviable solutions were given to problems. In the end the Training Department was closed.
The were really good to work for and really helpful with what to do and how to do it. The kids were even better. I would so work here again. Would recommend working here
fun and energetic busy place to work in.Free gym membership which means a chance to get fit in the gym and go for a swim if you would like to.Meet new friends.
Bad experience working for YMCA a lot of poor care practices, Director doing nothing about staff using mobile phones in rooms, younger girls inexperienced and having no idea how to engage with children.
I've been employed at the Y for over a year now and I'm pleased to be working for a great company. The team culture is terrific. As always, there will be difficult days with student behaviour but the training and support is exceptional. I highly recommended the Y as an employer.
Worked at Portland YMCA and although started out to be an exciting newly created role after winning the local council tender for the second time, soon turned into the worst 8 years of my life. There is certainly no “community” at YMCA Portland.
As a support worker, I worked with disabled adults varying in age from early 30's to 60's. I would pick up clients and take them home on the bus. While at the Hove community centre we would engage in activities such as cooking, beading, singing and playing games. We went on several out of centre activities such as ten pin bowling, lunch at the Bay and visited a garden at another community centre. I enjoyed my role engaging in communication with the clients, serving them teas and coffees and generally trying to brighten up their day in a caring environment.
Productive and fun environment to be in. create lasting friendships and people skills. Typical day included prepping for students arrival, engaging in fun activities with kids and supervising
The YMCA was a great place to be when I started my first day. I had to do so much awesome meet new friends. And I'm so happy around in a fitness environment at the YMCA. The place makes me happy good staff good food.
Friendly managers and employees. Multicultural workplace. Good benefits. Good place to learn new skills. Like to help staff members. No opportunity for career growth
Typical summer camp environment. You're in groups over 15-25 kids and a few counselors. You follow a daily schedule and leads games/activities for the kids.
I worked with children . I got good experienced about children care. I have 6 years experience of my children care. I did good interaction with children. And my goal is to pursue in this line and aim to provide secure , warm , reliable environment to the children.
Just needed to return to fitness more and closer to home. Transferred here from 3 highly successful year in YMCA Broken hill and loved the community work and engagement
Pros
enjoy what you work at
Cons
Due to medical issues I was treated unfairly by most of the staff. I worked myself so hard I was in hospital nightly because of it and I still got treated very unfairly
I had a great time volunteering at the hawthorn YMCA. everyone is very welcoming and the clients are friendly, I throughly enjoyed my time there and was sad when my volunteer time was up.
A typical day at work was always comfortable and made me feel like I was wanted in the work place. Jobs were divided among the workers so as to not overload one and leave another with nothing to do.
Pros
Discounts
YMCA promotes many oportunity for children and young teenagers, there are many fun and interstering activites and camps that are held as apart of the YMCA's work ethics.
Pros
working with young people
Cons
unexpecting incidents
  1. Employee Reviews