YMCA
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

YMCA Employee Reviews

Enjoyed my time was offered different positions great friendly place to work very professional and organised place to work. Clean environment lovely canteen great staff team work
Pros
Gym membership
Cons
Short shifts
YMCA has a lot of opportunities for people looking for work , they do a lot in the community, a lot of not for profit work and they have a great reputation
Pros
Opportunities in many locations
Cons
Not necessarily easy to get full-time work
Ymca was one of the best childcare centers i have worked at the staff were well taken care of and trained to expectations. was well payed and the children's needs and supplies were always taken care of.
The management team were not very understanding of college requirements. The hardest part of the job is the parental abuse received almost daily. The water heater was always broken which made employees very sick but were not allowed time off. To receive a qualification, management blackmail you into working extra shifts or you wont get your qualification. I learned how to teach children and adults to swim and how to calm them down when anxious.
Pros
Lovely coworkers
Cons
Water heater always broken
Rewarding to work within the programs at a ground level, but is generally understaffed across the board and a significant amount of pro-bono work is often expected outside of your rostered hours to meet the operational requirements of the business.
Good hours, well organised. lots of options for location to work due to it being at so many schools in the ACT. Fun job with co-workers that care about what they are doing.
Great job for any age, I studied my cet III during this time within Childcare. There were a lot of challenges along the way but I learnt a lot and enjoyed the experience.
Working at the YMCA as a gymnastics coach is extremely fun as I get to develop professional relationships with my students, co-workers and boss. Using my knowledge to better a gymnasts abilities is extremely rewarding. It is a friendly environment with a collective aim to improve. This makes the environment both focused and excited.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Lots of changes towards the end and beginning of each year
Greatest place to give back to the community knowing full well what it entails. Great place to be and loved every minute of it. I worked as an unpaid volunteer and would love the opportunity to work there for a career.
Before school care, after school care and vacation care with the YMCA is a rewarding, fun and interesting job suited to anyone studying full or part-time. Duties include providing a safe and positive environment for children while running creative craft activities, active games and supportting children.
Pros
Participating in holiday activities eg. Rock climbing, going to the movies etc.
Been teaching at a YMCA Managed centre for the past 6 years. As a group fitness instructor I also teach at other gym facilities and the Y where I teach, in my opinion, is by far the best place to work. It's all inclusive and the management actually take the time to get to know their staff. My boss has a rapport with his whole team like no-one I have seen before. It's a shame we may all not be working there anymore after a new management company is about to take over.
Pros
A happy place to work.
Cons
Have to provide my own disco lights
During my time as a youth worker, my role involved working with students of the YMCA peer mentor support program and guiding them throughout their studies. As a mentor I was assigned multiple students to support them and help guide and motivate them with regards to their studies and their desired careers outside of high school. From this, I was able to professionally improve on my ability to build rapport with students whilst gaining hands-on experience around working with young adolescents.
I had the opportunity to work with some great people during my time with the Y. Unfortunately, fundamental misunderstandings between my hiring supervisor and I led me to leave this job rather quickly. Both verbally and in writing, I was told what I would be earning to personal train and coach/monitor gym members in Columbus corporate locations. Yet, after working for several weeks and reviewing my first paycheck, I noticed I was earning significantly less per hour. My supervisor did not correct this, but instead, informed me the Y was unable to pay what was agreed upon during the hiring process. What a bummer!
greeting from staff set up equipment meet parents meet students use planned classes for your classes teach the students new and exciting things high five
Pros
free gym
Cons
cold pool
Get all the goals ready and make sure all the paper work are set for both teams to participate. Once the teams have signed and paid off their fees. I then proceed to empire but prior to that i tell the players the rules of the game.
Pros
fun
Cons
aggressive
YMCA is the best place to work and gave myself learning through YMCA culture and YMCA has many benefits such as gym, pools and also many other benefits.
Pros
free GYM
Best summer camps in the world, global activities providing youth generations a way of growing in a very positive way. Very good experience for everyone!
Expectations on casual staff is too high for the shifts, training and hours provided. If it wasn't for my relationships with colleagues, gym members and user groups I would struggle to find the motivation to go to work.
Work is a safe, fun an enjoyable workplace, everyday I learn more and get better at my job. The management is very organized but flexible when you need it. The hardest part of the job would be completely adjusting to every students needs yet you get better at it as time goes on
Pros
flexible work, easy tasks
Cons
lots of couurses and qualifictions needed
Good teamwork, entertaining children - no day was ever the same. However, lack of support from higher up and lack of understanding of duties of ground-level workers
very nice place to work a and be around, very friendly staff that treated me well and loved my time there as an Employee. Would highly recommend this job
  1. Employee Reviews