YMCA
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

YMCA Employee Reviews

Enjoyed my time was offered different positions great friendly place to work very professional and organised place to work. Clean environment lovely canteen great staff team work
Pros
Gym membership
Cons
Short shifts
It's decent pay if you're a casual like i was, unfourtunantly i wasn't given enough time during the week to show my full potential as i was only rostered on once a fortnight. Lovely ladies to work with in the OSHC sector.
It was a great place to work and I deeply resent being forced to do this review. It should be optional, if you want to find out about YMCA< go work there .
Never had an issue with YMCA. Simple and great management and environment. I would gladly work for YMCA again just as long as I can find more working hours in towards the city (Melbourne).
Pros
Easy
Cons
Not enough hours
I thoroughly enjoyed working here. It was one-on-one with my client, and my duties were to entertain him, mostly, shower, toilet and feed him, and put him to bed. I also helped with miscellaneous duties around the house, and sometimes went on daytrips with the family. Would recommend; very caring environment.
Pros
Best people to work with and enjoy a laugh
Cons
The job would occassionally get to me
I enjoy working at the YMCA as a part time job while complete my studies. I enjoyed creating a fun and safe place for children to grow and learn. I have worked on my time management skills and responsibility for looking after large amounts of children.
There were a lot of contract and volunteer workers for the YMCA WA when I worked for them on a project. They were in the process of improving how they engage with contract an volunteer workers to make them feel more of an employee. Not much in the way of advancement for employees though.
YMCA Katherine was such a great place to have worked at. The other staff members were very outgoing and easy to get along with. The typical day of working for YMCA consisted of organising and planning recreational activities for the community especially for the indigenous youth. I learnt how to adapt to the different people in both the community and work.
Pros
Travelling, Meeting new people, Sports, BBQs
Cons
Long hours, Rude manager
Great place to show people health benefits Learnt to help people achieve their fitness goals. Friendly atmosphere Enjoyable part was to talk to people.
Pros
Motivating atmosphere
Cons
It was a fantastic working experience especially to gain customer service skills as well as working alongside other staff members and assisting customers and handling money.
I very much enjoyed working for YMCA The children in my care were a pleasure to care for The part time hours were very convenient and staff training was well organised
wonderful place to work, you learn lots of new and amazing skills, you work with a lot of amazing people, the manager is an amazing person to work for
it was a very good place to do work experience i learnt quite a lot to be honest i got to work with the little kids and that was a really fun experience because i love kids a lot.
Pros
always got free lung
Cons
had long hours but never longer then 6-7 hours but i loved it.
Really enjoyed working with special needs children, and enjoyed including them in appropriate activities to incorporate them into our out of school hours program.
Pros
recognition and awards for efforts
Cons
not enough hours so resigned
My role was an educator, instead all I did was clean toilets, mop and clean windows , any ideas I had to help the children they did not listen , instead took my ideas and got the credit for it
Pros
Cons
N/a
Working with Children to educate them on daily routines are consistent and constant. Time management is a key role to keeping the young ones happy whilst still enjoying a well planned day.
Pros
Worked 5hrs daily spent the rest of the afternoon helping and educating my own children.
Cons
Low earning income
Great place to work if you want to truly connect with the local community and make a difference in people's lives. The y is a great place to work in a team environment.
Pros
Discounts for staff in the YMCA fitness centres
Cons
A lot of training time away from home. A lot of out of hours community days.
A topical restaurant manager role in a busy little restaurant. some little function as well. I enjoyed myself at George Williams Hotel. Early start and average finishing time about 4pm. Good staff meals. Good atmosphere to work in.
Pros
Car park for manager
Cons
small car park
Part of a global organisation. YMCA have a solid business foundation which enables them to support the Manningham community.
Even a short shift for eg: 3 hours can seem longer. Management was confusing and communication was not good. The different sectors ie: gym, frontline, management etc were seperated communication wise.Communication and lack of recognition, good or bad was never in place. The patrons and fellow life guards were the most enjoyable part of the job and taking care of patrons needs and the team environment between life guards only.
Pros
Patrons and job satisfaction
Cons
The heated pool environment and the emotional toll from management
always meeting new people in a friendly environment,management was fairly well organized, but overall a great place to work.
  1. Employee Reviews